BusinessWorld Online BusinessWorld: The most trusted source of Philippine business news and analysis
- Semirara Mining and Power Corp. to hold annual stockholders’ meeting via remote communication on May 2by BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 4:02 pm
Notice of Annual Stockholders’ Meeting Please be notified that the Annual Meeting of Stockholders of Semirara Mining and Power Corporation (the “Corporation”) will be held on May 2, 2023, Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. and will be conducted by remote communication at https://www.semirarampc.com/asm […]
- Affordable internet access drives agri-fisheries transformationby BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 4:01 pm
In the Philippines, agricultural sector contributes 9.4% to the country’s GDP, but it faces numerous challenges that hamper its growth. Limited access to modern technology and connectivity infrastructure, particularly in rural areas, can lead to low productivity, inefficiency, and limited market […]
- World Bank lowers PHL growth forecastby BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 8:59 am
THE WORLD BANK downgraded its growth forecast for the Philippines this year, as high inflation weighs on consumption. In its East Asia and the Pacific Economic Update report released on Friday, the multilateral lender trimmed its gross domestic product (GDP) growth projection to 5.6% from the […]
- $531-million ‘hot money’ exits Philippines in Februaryby BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 8:58 am
MORE short-term foreign funds left the Philippines in February, ending four straight months of inflows, based on data from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). Transactions on foreign portfolio investments registered with the central bank through authorized agent banks posted a net outflow […]
- Philippine property prices jump in Q4by BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 8:57 am
HOUSING prices across the Philippines grew at a faster annual pace in the fourth quarter, driven by strong demand for duplex housing units and condominium units, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) data showed. Based on data from the central bank, the Residential Real Estate Price Index […]
- Breaking barriers: Celebrating Women’s Month with Globe’s trailblazing female leadersby BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 8:48 am
This Women’s Month, the Globe Group’s powerhouse female leaders share their insights on workplace representation and unique leadership styles, shattering stereotypes and championing change in the corporate world. In the male-dominated telco industry, Globe Chief Commercial Officer Issa […]
- Flying Tiger Copenhagen plans to open 1,000 stores in Asia, including Philippinesby BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 8:26 am
FLYING Tiger Copenhagen, the variety retailer that sells everything from water guns to yoga mats, plans to push into Asia to more than double its number of stores globally.Chief Executive Officer Martin Jermiin said the Danish chain has already signed contracts covering about half of the new 1,000 […]
- Done, dusted and delivered: Global Women Who RULE paints year 3 in pinkby BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 7:00 am
It was an event packed full of life-enriching nutrients — from one woman to another. Enderun Extension at Capitol Commons was a burst of pink and all pixie dust and high on endorphins as Global Women Who Rule staged Year 3 of its annual Summit. The first hybrid production, Global Women Who RULE […]
- NCR retail prices accelerate to 6.6% in February by BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 6:49 am
RETAIL PRICE growth of general goods in the Philippine capital region grew at its fastest pace in February, the highest reading in 14 years, according to preliminary data from the local statistics agency. Data from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) showed the general retail price index […]
- Nike faces shareholder proposal on human rightsby BusinessWorld on March 31, 2023 at 5:55 am
NEW YORK – Activist shareholder platform Tulipshare is calling on Nike to offer more transparency on working conditions in its supply chain. In a shareholder proposal released Thursday, London-based Tulipshare requested a report from Nike on whether its policies effectively address its […]
BusinessMirror A broader look at today’s business
- ‘Inevitable Extinction’by Andreo Calonzo / Bloomberg News on April 1, 2023 at 2:21 pm
Manila’s colorful jeepneys make way for carbon-free minibuses
- Kim’s rare display of nuclear warheads sends chilling messageby Jon Herskovitz & Jeong-Ho Lee / Bloomberg News on April 1, 2023 at 2:16 pm
- Why the religious fast duringRamadan, Lent, other holy daysby Luis Andres Henao and Mariam Fam / Associated Press on April 1, 2023 at 2:11 pm
Muslims around the world are welcoming the start of Ramadan, a month of fasting, increased worship, heightened charity, good deeds and community. Christians are also fasting during Lent, the 40-day period of penance and prayer ahead of Easter, which marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the […]
- ‘March for Life’ spotlights caring for PWDsby Minnie Agdeppa / CBCP News on April 1, 2023 at 2:07 pm
The care of persons with intellectual disabilities (PIDs) were highlighted at an annual pro-life event of a fraternal organization of Catholic men.
- Posters near Vatican urge pope to stop Latin Mass crackdownby Nicole Winfield / Associated Press on April 1, 2023 at 2:04 pm
ROME—Posters calling on Pope Francis to stop his crackdown on the old Latin Mass were plastered near the Vatican last week, in the latest display of conservative opposition to the pontiff.
- Vatican counts down to launch pope’s message in satelliteby Devin Watkins / Vatican News on April 1, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Pope Francis’ message of hope and peace for the troubled world is about to lift off into space.
- ‘Kuyug’: Calatagan’s famous fish by Jonathan L. Mayuga on April 1, 2023 at 1:52 pm
Calatagan, a once sleepy agricultural and fishing municipality in Batangas, is now a certified tourist magnet. Thanks to “kuyug,” the area’s famous fish.
- The Amazon is not safeunder Brazil’s new presidentby Robert T. Walker, University of Florida / The Conversation (CC) via AP on April 1, 2023 at 1:48 pm
Conservationists breathed a sigh of relief when Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva won Brazil’s presidential election in the fall of 2022.
- Maynilad awards 21 water, environment championsby BusinessMirror on April 1, 2023 at 1:44 pm
Maynilad Water Services Inc. (Maynilad) honored 21 water and environment champions at the World Water Day Philippines Awards (WWD.PH Awards) 2023 held in Pasay City last March 22.
- PhilSA using SpaceX’s Starlink Internet to address connectivity gapby BusinessMirror on April 1, 2023 at 1:37 pm
Starlink—the satellite network developed and operated by SpaceX that is owned by multibillionaire Elon Musk—is now being used in the Philippines to address the connectivity gap in isolated areas, especially for education and local governance.
- DOST, PEZA to offer more jobs at Cavite die & mold centerby Kai Negado / S&T Media Service on April 1, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Increasing the employment of engineering and technical-vocational course graduates is being planned by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) and the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA).
- FPRDI’s heat treatment facility now accreditedby Rizalina K. Araral / S&T Media Service on April 1, 2023 at 1:33 pm
Good news to wooden pallet and crate makers near Laguna: the Department of Science and Technology’s Forest Products Research and Development Institute’s (DOST-FPRDI) heat treatment facility is now accredited by the Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) of the Department of Agriculture.
- Musk, scientists call for halt to AI race sparked by ChatGPTby Matt O’brien / AP Technology Writer on April 1, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Are tech companies moving too fast in rolling out powerful artificial intelligence technology that could one day outsmart humans?
- Russia stops sharing missile test information with US, opens drillsby Vladimir Isachenkov / The Associated Press on April 1, 2023 at 1:14 pm
MOSCOW—Russia will no longer give the US advance notice about its missile tests as envisioned under a nuclear pact the Kremlin has suspended, a senior Moscow diplomat said Wednesday, as its military rolled missile launchers across Siberia in a show of the country’s massive nuclear capability […]
- $3 trillion threat to globalfinancial markets loomsby Ruth Carson, Masaki Kondo & Michael Mackenzie / Bloomberg News on April 1, 2023 at 1:10 pm
- Amid strained US ties, China finds unlikely friend in Utahby Alan Suderman & Sam Metz / The Associated Press on April 1, 2023 at 1:06 pm
- Japanese surfer nears 90 & talks of catching waves at 100by Aamer Madhani | The Associated Press on April 1, 2023 at 12:56 pm
FUJISAWA, Japan—A busy company owner for the early part of his life, Seiichi Sano began anew at 80 by climbing Mt. Fuji. Apparently not challenged enough by Japan’s highest peak, he almost immediately took up surfing.
- US hurdler Demus finally gets her goldby Associated Press on April 1, 2023 at 12:54 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland—American runner Lashinda Demus officially became an Olympic champion on Thursday, at the age of 40 and more than a decade after the 2012 London Games.
- Indigenous artists help skateboarding earn stamp of approvalby Associated Press on April 1, 2023 at 12:52 pm
PHOENIX—Years ago, skateboarding was branded as a hobby for rebels or stoners in city streets, schoolyards and back alleys. Those days are long gone.
- Pru Life UK PRURide PHL returns in Mayby BusinessMirror on April 1, 2023 at 12:50 pm
PRU LIFE UK is bringing back PRURide Philippines as part of its advocacy to help Filipinos live a healthier lifestyle through cycling.